Pitch. Launch. Grow.
Orange County’s inaugural pitch competition for technology and life science startups.
Launch Your Innovation
Announcing the launch of the annual pitch competition for technology and life science startups. If your startup is looking for a financial boost to achieve your next measurable milestone, apply today. Applicants will receive 2-months of no-cost consulting to hone their pitch, which will then be reviewed by a panel of judges. Finalists will present live on August 25th and 26th, 2021, where a winner from each of the three tracks (technology, life science, specialty diagnostics) will be announced.
Applications close May 31, 2021, 11:59 PM PST.
Includes software or hardware in the following sectors: Communications, Wireless, Cybersecurity, EdTech, Environmental Technologies (e.g. AgTech, CleanTech, BlueTech, EnergyTech), Information Technologies (e.g. SaaS platforms), Internet of Things (IoT), Media, and AdTech.
The life science industry is one that encompasses a wide range of areas. These areas can include companies operating in the fields of drug discovery, medical devices, pharmaceuticals, and therapeutics offering innovative products and services.
Specialty Diagnostics x Showa Denko
Are you developing an antibiotic susceptibility technology (AST)? The AST technology should allow for rapid analysis, work in real patient matrices (urine, whole blood or CSF), and be simple enough that the final product can be used by non-trained medical personnel. The technology should enable an embodiment in which sample preparation is automated and incorporated into the test device. A phenotypic AST is preferred. Genotypic entries will be allowed, but consideration should be made to identify as high a percentage of resistant bacteria or fungi as possible while optimizing specificity.
This is a one-of-a-kind opportunity for relevant companies / academic developers. If selected, you will be connected to partners at Showa Denko Materials (America), who are actively looking to commercialize a rapid antibiotic susceptibility test technology to further develop your diagnostic technology and connect you to key stakeholders.
May – Applications Open
- May 3, 2021 – Applications Open
- May 31, 2021 – Applications Close
- 3 tracks: Technology, Life Science, and Specialty Diagnostics
June – Pitch Prep Consulting
- Receive 1:1 consulting and insight on how to refine their elevator pitch and proposal from an SBDC Consultant.
- Applicants can attend Creating an Investable Startup a 4-part series hosted by the SBDC @ UCI Beall Applied Innovation. The 4-part series is designed to take you through the fundamentals of creating a startup that meets investor’s criteria. We will cover the key elements of a pitch deck that will help you tell your story and attract funding, focusing on 3 major areas: business essentials, the market, and financial projections.
July – Judges Review Proposals
- July 6, 2021 – Deadline to submit pitches to vetting judges.
- 3 semi-finalists will be selected from each track and will receive a digital media audit by SBDC Digital Media Lab.
August – Virtual Demo Day
- August 6, 2021 – Finalists will be announced
- August 25, 2021 – Technology track winner will be announced at a live webinar.
- August 26, 2021 – Life Science and Specialty Diagnostics winners will be announced at a live webinar.
Technology: Cash prize equal to twenty thousand dollars ($20,000).
Life Science: Priority admission or renewal to University Lab Partners and 1-year ULP lab space (one (1) – 6ft lab bench).
Specialty Diagnostics x Showa Denko: Priority admission or renewal to University Lab Partners and 1-year ULP lab space (one (1) – 6ft lab bench).