Are you interested in starting your own food business? SBDC EATS is a program that helps you learn what it takes to do so! Through this program, you will be guided through the necessary steps to plan, build, and launch your food business and products in the marketplace.
SBDC EATS will be taught in a hybrid format (sessions will be a mix of online and in-person events). This fast-paced course will help you in developing your business idea to start up your business in the food industry.
This program is presented in English AND Spanish. This program is offered in partnership with the CulinaryLab Cooking School.
During the program, you will learn the following:
Going from Idea to Concept:
- Do you have what it takes?
- Steps to starting your food business
- Types of food businesses
- Your niche
- Market research
Setting Up Your Business:
- What are the different business entities?
- Pieces you need to set up your business
- Licensing and permits
Honing in on your Offerings:
- Your offerings
- Pricing and costing
Starting to Sell:
- Cottage permits
- Selling at events
- Managers certification
Managing your Business:
- Accounting methods
- Financial projections
- Access to capital
Getting the Word Out:
- Marketing your business
- Establishing your online presence
- Steps to stand out and shine in a crowded market
- Measuring your success
Through this program, you will be aligned with one of our food consultants for personalized assistance and to discuss how to move forward toward the launch of your business. One-on-one assistance is offered in English and Spanish. You will be required to attend all six sessions.
– Session 1: Friday, January 26 | 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. (Zoom)
– Session 2: Friday, February 2 | 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. (Zoom)
– Session 3: Friday, February 9 | 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. (In Person – Field Trip to CulinaryLab)
– Session 4: Friday, February 16 | 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. (Zoom)
– Session 5: Friday, February 23 | 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. (Zoom)
– Session 6: Friday, March 1 | *8 a.m. – 11 a.m. (In-Person – Graduation Event at 4th Street Market – 201 E. 4th St., Santa Ana, CA 92701) (*Setup at 7:30 a.m.)
**Please note that attendance is MANDATORY at ALL sessions**