Small Business Saturday
How often do 40+ small businesses sell for the first time at the O.C. Market Place on the same day? Celebrate with us during our ribbon-cutting ceremony as we recognize these individuals who received assistance with starting their business through the OC MADE program. Get in on this great photo op and stay n’ shop!
What's OC MADE?
The OC MADE program was created with the intention of helping new businesses enter the Orange County Market Place in order for their product or service to be recognized. During the four-week program, individuals will be taught the planning, marketing, and financing behind developing a business. Learning how they play a role and how to appropriately do each will get individuals closer to achieving their dream. After the program is finished, those that took the program will be given the chance to test out their concept at the OC Market Place.
How to Apply
Register through Eventbrite, answer the preliminary questions on the registration and one of our SBDC consultants will reach out to conduct a brief interview with you – 25 people will be selected for this program based on an interview process. No cost to participate in the program.
OC MADE Program
- Developing your product for the Market Place
- Building your idea into a business
- Market Place requirements
- Licenses and permits to operate at the Market Place
- Market research
- Sourcing, costing and pricing your products
- Financial projections
- Walking the Market Place
- Presentation from a current Market Place vendor
- Developing your marketing plan
- Understanding social media and how to attract customers/repeat customers
- Finance and funding
- Accepting payment at the Market Place
- Setting up your Market Place booth
- Signage and promotion
- OC Market forms, policies, and procedures
- Graduation/certificate ceremony
- Market Place vendor booth for a select few on Saturday, November 30 and Sunday, December 1 – a perfect opportunity to showcase your business!
OC MADE - From Maker to Market in partnership with the Urban Workshop Program
CLASS I: Your Business Framework and Urban Workshop Tour
This class will cover the basics of entrepreneurship including identifying resources; forming the corporate entity; conducting market research; licenses/permits, and solving your customer’s problem. This class will also cover building the manufacturing roadmap and a comprehensive introduction to Urban Workshop (UW) Solutions. This class will include a tour of the Urban Workshop.
- What is your product vision?
- What is unique about this product?
- Who is your target market?
- Who are you top competitors?
- How is your product different from your competitors?
CLASS II: Business Viability
This class will focus on proving the viability of your business. We will explore niche markets; how to create financial model; building revenue and cost assumptions; inventory management, and pricing considerations.
- How much will it cost to make your product?
- How much will you sell it for?
- How much are your customers willing to pay?
- How much capital do you need to start your business?
- Do you need help funding this venture?
- Inventory – What do you need? And where are you selling?
CLASS III: Win Your Customers – Marketing and Branding
Thurs. November 21, 2019 | Time: 6:00 pm- 8:00 pm
This class will focus on Marketing and Product Branding. This class will provide education and tips related to winning your first customers. The class will cover online (email, social media, website, etc.) marketing as well as how to identify other sales channels.
- Who are your customers?
- Where are your customers?
- How will you reach them?
- What does it take to be successful in the digital landscape?
- Is traditional marketing still valid?
- What should your marketing budget look like?
CLASS IV: Managing and Operating Your Business
*Zoom Webinar/ Online Presentation
This class will focus on operational considerations. We will cover shipping and fulfillment considerations, POS systems and customer service challenges.
- How will your customers pay you?
- How will you track inventory?
- What accounting software will you use?
- How to find packaging solutions?
- What should you know about fulfillment and shipping costs?