Title: Small Business Expert – Restaurant Management
Location: Inland Empire Small Business Development Center
Address: 3780 Market Street, Riverside, CA 92501
Salary: $40.00 – $50.00 Hourly
Job Type: Hourly
Employment Status: non-benefited, temporary, “non-exempt” position through June 30, 2021. One or more positions available.
Work Schedule: up to 19 hours per week. Schedule to be determined but generally Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Some evenings may be required.
Deadline: Open until filled, but will review applications by June 19, 2020.
Summary: The Orange County / Inland Empire Small Business Development Center is a federal program partially funded by the U.S. Small Business Administration & the California Governor’s Office of Business & Economic Development. The SBDC is hosted by CSU, Fullerton and the Orange County Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. The purpose of this grant is to provide no-cost technical assistance to entrepreneurs and small business owners in the Orange County. The SBDC is seeking applications for a Small Business Consultant.
- Provide SBDC consulting, training, and information services in the region to pre-venture, start-up, small and medium-sized businesses.
- Maintain client database by preparing a detailed written assessment and make recommendations for improvements.
- Keep abreast of business trends, techniques, and processes.
- Work collaboratively with peers and the business community to expand expertise.
- Community outreach responsibilities will include public presentations to key stakeholders and service on appropriate boards and committees related to economic development.
- Travel as required to perform cross county-wide job functions.
- Complete all forms and maintain client files as required by the SBA.
- Document information, assistance, and outcomes of sessions with clients related to consulting and training activities performed by the consultant.
- Provide Center with timely reports related to milestones and success stories of the client’s economic outcomes.
- Individual must conduct own lead generation through creating partnerships with cities, chambers of commerce, business associations, etc. to find clients.
- Bachelor’s degree in a business-related field is preferred; or equivalent experience in restaurant management; or equivalent experience in financial analysis; or Bachelor’s degree in any field with either two years of business management or business ownership.
- Current or past small business owner – preferred; owned your own restaurant location, preferably multiple locations.
- Key understanding of small business issues related to restaurant operations, cost management, labor management, customer service.
- Ability to consult on things like sales, pricing, inventory, and staff activity to manage everyday operations.
- In addition, be able to prepare for growth, understanding things like a high-functioning POS system that gives the business owner insight into and control of an array of operating details like ingredient-level inventories, automated purchasing, seating management, staff performance, and comprehensive business reports.
Knowledge & Abilities
Must Have Knowledge of:
- Basic operations, services, and activities of a business assistance program including financing alternatives.
- Methods and procedures used in starting or expanding a business.
- Basic principles of effective supervision; principles and procedures of record-keeping and basic report preparation.
- Modern office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and related software.
- English usage spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes and regulations governing small businesses.
- Applicants must be sensitive to the needs of a diverse client base.
- Bilingual Spanish preferred.
- Experience working with an SBDC or economic development program.
- Strong financial background and banking experience.
- SEO WordPress is highly desired.
Must Have Ability to:
- Recommend and implement goals and objectives for providing business assistance services.
- Analyze situations accurately and develop an effective course of action.
- Provide guidance, technical assistance, and direction to businesses.
- Effectively teach business management principles and strategies.
- Work independently with limited supervision.
- Use sound judgment.
- Prioritize work to meet schedules and timelines.
- Operate office equipment including computers and supporting software applications.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Applicants must have the ability to travel throughout San Bernardino and Riverside Counties as needed.
UEC is an EOE – Minority/Female/Disability/Vets. This position will remain open until filled. This is a sensitive position and the selected candidate must successfully pass a thorough background investigation to include a criminal history check and DMV check prior to appointment.Apply Now