Title: Small Business Expert – Tourism Management
Location: Inland Empire Small Business Development Center
Address: 3780 Market Street, Riverside, CA 92501
Salary: $40.00 – $50.00 Hourly
Job Type: Hourly
Employment Status: non-benefited, temporary, “non-exempt” position through June 30, 2021. One or more positions available.
Work Schedule: up to 19 hours per week. Schedule to be determined but generally Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Some evenings may be required.
Deadline: Open until filled, but will review applications by June 19, 2020.
Summary: The Orange County/Inland Empire Small Business Development Center is a federal program partially funded by the U.S. Small Business Administration & the California Governor’s Office of Business & Economic Development. The SBDC is hosted by CSU, Fullerton and the Orange County Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. The purpose of this grant is to provide no-cost technical assistance to entrepreneurs and small business owners in Orange County. The SBDC is seeking applications for a Small Business Consultant.
- Provide SBDC consulting, training and information services in the region to pre-venture, start-up, small and medium size businesses.
- Maintain client database by preparing detailed written assessment and make recommendations for improvements.
- Keep abreast of business trends, techniques, and processes. Work collaboratively with peers and the business community to expand expertise.
- Community outreach responsibilities will include public presentations to key stakeholders and service on appropriate boards and committees related to economic development.
- Travel as required to perform cross county-wide job functions. Complete all forms and maintain client files as required by the SBA.
- Document information, assistance, and outcomes of sessions with clients related to consulting and training activities performed by the consultant.
- Provide Center with timely reports related to milestones and success stories of client’s economic outcomes. Individual must conduct own lead generation through creating partnerships with cities, chambers of commerce, business associations, etc to find clients.
- Bachelor’s degree in a business-related field is preferred; or equivalent experience in tourism management; or equivalent experience in financial analysis; or Bachelor’s degree in any field with either two years of business management or business ownership.
- Current or past small business owner – preferred; owned your own business location, preferably multiple locations.
- Key understanding of small business issues related to Tourism – A good understanding of business and what drives business success with expertise and understanding of how to operate in a tourism environment.
- Understands the essential business functions of lodging, hospitality services, and event management.
- Helping small business owners to think strategically and create their set of values regarding a hospitality setting.
- Key knowledge of: Financial Statements, Building High-Performing Teams, Marketing and Planning Management, Building Guest Loyalty.
Knowledge & Abilities
Must Have Knowledge of:
- Basic operations, services and activities of a business assistance program including financing alternatives; methods and procedures used in starting or expanding a business.
- Basic principles of effective supervision; principles and procedures of record keeping and basic report preparation.
- Modern office procedures, methods and equipment including computers and related software; English usage spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations governing small businesses.
- Applicants must be sensitive to the needs of a diverse client base.
- Bilingual Spanish preferred.
- Experience working with a SBDC or economic development program; strong financial background and banking experience.
- SEO WordPress is highly desired.
Must Have Ability to:
- Recommend and implement goals and objectives for providing business assistance services.
- Analyze situations accurately and develop an effective course of action.
- provide guidance, technical assistance and direction to businesses.
- effectively teach business management principles and strategies.
- Work independently with limited supervision.
- Use sound judgment.
- Prioritize work to meet schedules and timelines.
- Operate office equipment including computers and supporting software applications; communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Applicants must have the ability to travel throughout San Bernardino and Riverside Counties as needed.
UEC is an EOE – Minority/Female/Disability/Vets. This position will remain open until filled. This is a sensitive position and the selected candidate must successfully pass a thorough background investigation to include a criminal history check and DMV check prior to appointment.Apply Now